Read the first five chapters of the Amazon #1 Best Seller in “Home Design” online or download the book sample, bonus material and a free poster here.
Understand the big picture …
… from Apple HomeKit to Z-Wave, from Google Nest to Bluetooth LE, from OpenRemote to ZigBee.
… and get started on a real project
The book describes step by step how to implement a smart home system using state of the art technologies such as tablets, smartphones, and the Internet in conjunction with the latest wireline and wireless home automation standards. Technologies and platforms which are used in the projects described in the book are:
- Wi-Fi / WLAN
- Telnet, HTTP, TCP/IP
- Drools (an open source object oriented rule engine)
- OpenRemote (an open source building automation platform)
- Operating systems: Mac OS X / Linux / Windows
The resulting smart home control system is capable of:
- smartphone / tablet based display of weather and temperature
- WLAN / smartphone based presence control
- smartphone / tablet based control of lights, heating, power-outlets, consumer electronics
- smartphone / tablet based scenario control for scenarios such as Good Morning, Welcome, Good Night, Leaving Home
- operation of an audio reminder system with text-to-voice conversion of calendar items
- rule based scenario execution triggered by time, date, weather condition, temperature, WLAN/smartphone based presence detection
- automatic daily temperature report in CSV format sent via email
- heartbeat function to monitor system availability
- watchdog monitoring of the heartbeat with automatic alert email
HOW TO SMART HOME, 4th Edition
Othmar Kyas, 2016 US$9.99 / €9.99,
A step by step guide to building a smart home and your personal Internet of Things.